Updated: Nov 20, 2019
These guidelines apply to any wood floor. Following them will help your floor go longer between recoating and re-sanding:
1. Sweep and/or vacuum the floor as often as possible.
2. Never, ever wet-mop a floor.
3. Only use cleaners that are recommended by major wood floor finish or wood floor manufacturers.
4. Use walk off mats and area rugs at all doorways.
5. Put floor protectors on the bottom of all furniture and anything else (baby exersaucers, toys, etc.) that might rub on the wood floor.
6. Wipe up all spills immediately. Products such as Kool-Aid will stain most finishes if left on the floor.
7. Keep pet nails trimmed. Know that dogs running through the house will scratch any finish.
8. Consider using runners/area rugs in high-traffic areas.
9. Keep your home at normal living conditions for your area—no extremes of humidity or temperature.